2 cups all-purpose flour (I use Spelt flour)
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
¼ cup butter
2 large eggs
3 over ripe bananas (mashed)
¼ cup plain yogurt
3 tablespoons of apple cider
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup flaked unsweetened coconut
1 tablespoon flaked unsweetened coconut
½ cup icing sugar
3 tablespoons real lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- Mix the sugar and butter (once softened) in a large bowl.
- Fold in the over ripened bananas and mix thoroughly.
- Add the eggs and beat into the batter. I’m old school when it comes to cooking, and so I beat the batter myself with a fork but you could use a mixer if you like. I just find mixers too much trouble and too wasteful with batter.
- Add the yogurt, apple cider and vanilla, and continue to beat until blended.
- Add flour mixture until thoroughly blended.
- Stir in the ½ cup of finely shredded unsweetened coconut.
- Once batter thoroughly blended, pour batter into a 9 x 5 loaf pan that you have coated with cooking spray. I use coated meat loaf pans and so I forgo the spray.
- Place pan in your oven and back at 350°F for 1 full hour or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean once inserted into the center of your bread.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then remove from the pan.
- Once iced, you can leave the bread on a wire rack until completely cool.
- Mix the icing sugar, finely shredded unsweetened coconut, and real lemon juice together.
- Drizzle over the top of the bread. I like to cover the crack that happens during cooking and work the icing out from there on both sides.
Serve warm or cold. Bon Appétit!