1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs with the brown sugar using a fork.
- Melt the butter and then stir it into the mixture until the crumbs are evenly moistened.
- Press the crumbs evenly over the bottom and up the sides of a 12-inch pie plate to form the crust.
- Bake the crust for about 10 minutes so that it sets. Let cool completely before continuing.
8 large egg yolks
2 – 300 ml cans of condensed milk
1 – 370 ml bottle of pure lime juice cold pressed concentrate (not from concentrate – organic – NO sugar added)
Pinch of salt
Whipped cream (use at serving – consider using unsweetened)
Fresh lime slices and halved for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks with the condensed milk, lime juice and salt until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the filling is set around the edge but jiggles slightly in the center.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- AFTER cooled, refrigerate for no less than 6 hours before serving (but better left overnight).
NOTE: Just before serving, mound with whipped cream (consider using unsweetened) around the outside edge of the pie. You can then garnish with fresh, thinly sliced and halved pieces of lime. Additional whipped cream may be necessary to offer at the table.
- In making my pie, I used an 11-inch pie dish (shown in my header image), and I had left over filling, so be sure to use a 12-inch pie pan.
- I added one drop of blue food colouring at a time (being sure to stir well between drops) until I attained the lime green colour that matched perfectly the colour of the halved pieces of fresh lime garnishes that I used.
- You can make your key lime pie ahead of time as it easily refrigerates for up to 3 days.