Wow, the stories I hear about pets being inadvertently poisoned by us, their caregivers… it breaks my heart. I know I’d never be able to forgive myself if by providing my dog with a poor diet; I contributed to his early death.
This morning, while listening to CHFI’s morning show, Erin Davis mentioned how many of us feed treats to our pets that hamper their health and could literally poison them. Yikes!
Erin read out a much more thorough list of foods to AVOID feeding dogs and cats than I listed in my blog entry yesterday.
- Here’s the list:
- Grapes and raisins
- Garlic and onions …and their powders
- Macadamia nuts
- Tomatoes and tomato plants
- Chicken bones
- Xylitol (a sweetener found in Trident and Orbit gum, just 5 pieces can kill a 65 pound dog!)
- Raw potatoes (especially ones with green spots!)
- Turkey skin
- Caffeine (example: coffee & tea)
- Alcohol & hops
- Moldy foods
Erin went on to say how a cat had gotten lily dust on its paws, and became very ill after licking the dust off… so, do be careful of the types of house plants you keep near your “wittle-waskles”… in case you’ve “adopted” a nibbler!
With my new found arsenal of Wellness dog food products ready to feed my Shih Tzu, I anticipate Nugget’s health to improve immensely.
Original Source was found at http://www.erindavis.com/journal_history.php which, as of December 9, 2014, was removed.
Credit for Header: image by Clker-Free-Vertor-Images warning poison danger information on Pixabay